(Washington, DC) – To honor those who do good within our city, the Mayor's Office on Volunteerism and Partnerships, Serve DC is launching an exciting call for nominations for Mayor Bowser’s Demonstration of Commitment (DC) Spirit of Service Awards. This cornerstone initiative celebrates Serve DC’s rich legacy of connecting people to purpose through service and underscores their deep commitment of curating and connecting those who seek to do good within our city.
The Awards will honor District residents and community-based organizations that have displayed an outstanding commitment to service in the areas of volunteerism, national service, philanthropy, and emergency preparedness and will be recognized via a virtual red carpet celebration on January 14th, 2021.
A select group of distinguished and diverse local community leaders who embody civic engagement and champion service will support the Awards as the Spirit of Service Champion Circle. This dynamic group is committed to amplifying the 2020 DC Spirit of Service Awards to ensure that it is shared with residents and stakeholders in meaningful ways.
“By highlighting the best of the best—across all eight wards— including local residents, community-based organizations, and multi-sector partners, our goal is to recognize the great value and impact of civic engagement in creating a more equitable, resilient and vibrant city,” said Mayor Muriel Bowser.
Chief Service Officer, Ayris T. Scales added, “This is an incredibly important time for Serve DC. Not only are we celebrating 20 years of activating our mission of service, but we also want to acknowledge the time, efforts and great sacrifices that our volunteers, and philanthropic and private partners so generously gave when we needed it the most. We believe that this year’s honorees will embody our highest DC Values and will continue to make the District a better place to work and live. We are truly inspired.”
More about the Spirit of Service Awards:
The deadline to submit nominations is December 3rd, 2020 at 12:00AM EST.
The 2020 Mayor Bowser Spirit of Service Awards categories are as follows:
- Mayor Bowser DC Hope Award - A District resident that has identified a need within their local community and has demonstrated a genuine commitment to creating solutions.
- The Donor Difference Award - An Individual, group, or association that has made a significant financial or in-kind contribution to the District of Columbia.
- Ready, Set, Serve: Emergency Preparedness Award - One youth and one adult or group which has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to ensuring District residents and communities are prepared to respond, and recover from emergencies and disasters .
- The Commission’s Award for National Service - A past or present AmeriCorps member or organization currently administering a National Service program that demonstrates exemplary commitment to volunteerism and national service.
- The Community Impact Award - Community-based organization that has demonstrated outstanding commitment to providing access to critical services and resources to District residents, especially within vulnerable communities.
- Public-Private Partnership: Achievement in Collaboration Award -Private sector or philanthropic entity that has worked to create sustainable solutions to address the District’s most critical social challenges and priorities.
For more information on Mayor Bowser’s Spirit of Service Awards, please visit DCSpiritofServiceAwards.com
About Serve DC
The Mayor’s Office on Volunteerism and Partnerships (Serve DC): is the District of Columbia Government agency under Mayor Muriel Bowser, working to connect people, funding, knowledge, volunteer opportunities and resources to residents, business leaders and philanthropic partners—all working together to improve the lives and communities of DC.
Dedicated to promoting service and collaboration as an innovative, sustainable solution to pressing social challenges, Serve DC engages District communities by building multi-sector partnerships, leading local and national volunteer initiatives, and promoting strategic service opportunities that improve outcomes and increase the capacity of non-profit organizations, and District agencies.
Join the Conversation: #DCSpiritofServiceAwards #DoGoodDC #DemonstrationofCommitment